How to Band
A freshmeat’s guide to the hectic life of Foothill Band
Tips for Band Camp
- Check fhsbands.com for scheduling.
- Water is your friend. Bring water, drink water, be water. Lots of people use CamelBaks.
- Bring sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc. We will be in the sun. It is hot. You will burn.
- Wear comfy, athletic clothes. We will be marching and stretching and you need to be able to move.
- Lunch or dinner will be provided by the lovely band boosters each day. If you have special dietary needs consider bringing your own food.
- The band directors are busy people so always ask student leaders questions before going to the directors.
- Your section leaders are your friends. Don’t be afraid to ask them any questions.
- Don’t be afraid to ask people where your coordinates are on the field. They all went through the same thing and will be happy to help.
Tips for Uniforms
- Wash uniform inside out in cold water
- Hang to dry
- Always double and triple check to make sure you have all your uniform parts.
- Try putting black hair ties on your wrists over your gloves in order to keep your gloves in place.
- Tuck the laces of your drill masters inside your shoes to keep your shoelaces from coming undone and tripping over them.
- LONG BLACK SOCKS.
- If you have long hair pulled back and concealed in shako.
- If you’re early you’re on time. If you’re on time you’re late.
- Don’t worry about having to choose between playing a sport and band. You can do both!
- Keep money in your bib pocket for football games. You will want to buy something at the concession stand during half time.